Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Off-road

The "singing bridge" over Doe Run on Route 82 in West Marlborough was shut down for half a day so the metal plate could be fixed, and PennDOT detoured traffic onto Wilson Road, Ryan Road, Hicks Road and Thouron Road. Parts of these roads are gravel, and they're one-and-a-half lanes wide at best. We locals are used to this, but the delayed Route 82 drivers I spoke to most certainly were not.
I saw six cars coming down unpaved Ryan Road, kicking up a cloud of dust, and I pulled over at a stop sign to let them by. This kind of traffic is unheard of, except when the foxhunters come by and there are lots of car followers. I rolled down the window and asked what was going on.
"What a mess!" declared one woman, who then eyed my low-to-the-ground sports car and frankly doubted whether it would be able to manage the detour.
"You're gonna have fun," warned another driver, darkly.
I felt sorry for them. But if they want some real fun, they should try driving on Hicks Road when it's icy and rutted in the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment