Monday, October 11, 2010

Northward Ho!

My kind neighbor invited me to the opening of "Chilling Reality" (http://www.chillingreality.com/), the fascinating new exhibit at the Chester County Historical Society in West Chester. It tells the story of four adventurous county residents -- Isaac I. Hayes, Amos Bonsall, Samuel Entrikin, and Harry Whitney -- who traveled to the wilds of the Arctic in the 19th century. The exhibit runs through June. Don't miss seeing the spoon that Entrikin carried with him throughout his travels and the tiny dog that he carved.
My own trek northward took me to the plant sale at the Downingtown Friends Meeting Fall Festival. Why do Quakers seem to have such wonderful, unusual plant sales? This one was under the supervision of local plant expert David Culp (http://www.davidlculp.com/), who helped me select the Gentiana "True Blue" with the most buds. I also bought an Epimedium "Spine Tingler" (barrenwort) and a Gautheria procumbens (winter berry).

No comments:

Post a Comment