Thursday, March 24, 2011

Alarming

A house burglary in West Marlborough on March 22 has sent shudders through our community. The victim, understandably, didn't want her name or address published, but here's the account she wrote for me:
"I was away from my home from noon till 9:30 pm Tues. afternoon. My front door was locked, the back door was not. Had I locked the back door the door window could easily have been broken and the door opened. Had I applied the dead bolt the process would have been more difficult and possibly deterred the thieves.
"I believe there must have been more than one thief or they would not have been so bold as to go up the narrow stairs to the second floor, or down the very narrow and awkward stairs to the cellar.
"Electronics were taken: 2 external hard drives, one cell phone, one pair of binoculars, one expensive pro-level digital camera, one pro lens, the camera case with batteries, filters, memory cards etc. Guess my old glass tube TV was not worth taking and thank God my desktop PC was left behind. One of the external hard drives was totally full of four years of photo work, most of which I have also saved on DVD's, but some of the recent work I had not saved elsewhere.
"All of my filing cabinets had been opened. I was unable to discern if any documents were removed. They left the back door open, the glass door was shut, the light was on in the upstairs back room.
"The police were helpful; they reprimanded me for staying in the house waiting for their arrival. I did wait two hours for them to arrive. A forensics detective visited the following morning and was able to retrieve fingerprints that might or might not be useful.
"That's all I know right now. I phoned a few pawn shops and was informed that they all send in reports to the police of merchandise brought in on a daily basis."
This hits really close to home, and it's scary stuff. The victim asked me to say that she's offering a reward for the return of her stolen property.

No comments:

Post a Comment