Thursday, May 5, 2011

To the max

I got an eyewitness account of swindler Tony Young's sentencing on May 5.
My source said it was "wonderful" to see the ersatz financier enter the federal courtroom in handcuffs and dressed not in a dapper business suit but rather a green prison jumpsuit with an orange T-shirt underneath. His wife, Neely, mouthed "I love you" to him as he was brought in.
My source said Judge Juan Sanchez lectured Tony about the successful career he could have had if he had done the right thing and then passed sentence: 210 months, the maximum possible.
Tony's attorney asked Judge Sanchez if he could turn himself in when the site of his incarceration was determined.
No, said the judge.
The attorney then asked if Tony could serve his sentence in a Florida facility so he could be close to his wife and son and daughter.
The judge was noncommittal.
To allow Tony some privacy to say goodbye to his family, the judge then cleared the courtroom.
"I never go into Philadelphia," said my source, "but I'm so glad I went. Just to see him there ... Now maybe the community can start to heal."

No comments:

Post a Comment