Wednesday, February 15, 2012

We are family

A friend of mine is having some health issues that appeared out of the clear blue sky, and she spent several days in Christiana Hospital. Word trickled out via the grapevine to her large network of friends in Kennett. When I heard that something was up, I phoned one mutual friend who is always "in the know," got some details and then passed the word along.
I found myself phoning some people I hadn't spoken to in years, not since all of us served on a very active nonprofit board together, but it was like no time had passed at all: I knew that of course they would want to hear about our former colleague. I suppose it's much like working together, or playing on a team together: certain bonds form when you're on "the same side," you've eaten breakfast, lunch and dinner together, and you've been on the phone at all hours of the day and night discussing good news and bad.
As one friend put it: There are all kinds of families in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment