Friday, March 30, 2012

Found Money

When was the last time you saw a $2 bill? It was yesterday, for me. I (or, rather, "Current Resident") received a snail-mail letter asking me to participate in some kind of an ongoing survey called "Screenwise Select Panel." "By participating, you will help Google understand how people like you use media by watching TV and using computers, tablets and smartphones."
It seems they're going to pay people for giving their opinions, and as a token of their good faith enclosed a $2 bill, which I promptly pocketed.
Two days later I got another letter from these people, this time with five brand-new $1 bills. They enclosed a brochure with more details about this "exciting and very important" and "path-breaking research." The more I read, the more appalled I was. They want to install a wireless router that keeps track of your Internet, TV and smart phone use, including what websites you visit, so they can share the data with "university researchers and Internet and advertising industries."
Naturally, they pledge to keep all information confidential -- "in accordance with our privacy policy." No doubt.
Thanks for the seven bucks, guys, but I have absolutely no intention of exchanging my privacy for pocket change.

No comments:

Post a Comment