Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Unexpected

My friend Alex was in high dudgeon yesterday morning:
"Noticed today (while reviewing my bills for the impending end of my 2-year FiOS Triple Play contract) that an unexpected $5.99 charge for "Internet Security Suite" was on the bill ... In fact, after review of my bills for the last many months (naughty me for not doing this earlier!), it appears I've been paying for "Internet Security Suite" since August 2011 (but, of course, nothing appeared on my bill until 3 months worth of charges appeared in November 2011?!) Not interested in their "Internet Security Suite" (been buying and installing my own computer security for YEARS without "renting" products from Verizon, thank you!), never ordered it, never downloaded it, never installed it."
He realized that he was in an excellent bargaining position as his contract was almost up. He called Verizon customer service immediately; they assured him they'd take it off his bill forever and they even credited him more than he expected.
Moral of the story: Keep an eye on your utility bills and make sure you're not being charged for anything you haven't ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment