Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Dental et al.

Earlier this week I called to schedule an appointment at the dental practice where I've been a patient for probably 25 years, and the receptionist answered the phone in a different way. I hesitated and asked her if I had the right number.
She laughed and explained that one of the dentists had just retired, so they hired somebody new and took the opportunity to rejigger the office name. She also said, rather proudly, that she had not messed up on announcing the name ALL DAY LONG, probably because she had it written out in front of her on her desk.
I told her I hoped I hadn't jinxed her. 
Update: While at my appointment the hygienist complimented me on my oral health but suggested that I "keep an eye on the recession." This stopped me in my tracks. What on earth did she mean? I wondered to myself. Did I now have to bone up on the financial news before appointments so I could appear intelligent? Was she concerned that my business might be suffering?
Duh. Clearly I hadn't had my coffee. I quickly realized that what she meant was gums receding from the teeth. 
  

1 comment: