Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Fall foliage

We've had a stretch of gorgeous September days, haven't we? Yesterday afternoon I went for a walk at the Laurels and saw the end-of-summer milkweed, purple asters, ragweed and to my surprise a second crop of stinging nettle, looking as fresh as it did in early spring. While I was sitting by the Doe Run (like a former Girl Scout, I brought my sit-upon!) I heard a rustling behind me, looked back and saw a great blue heron taking flight over the creek, literally a few yards away from me.
In one of his more wholesome aphorisms, Oscar Wilde wrote that nothing cures the soul but the senses, and nothing cures the senses but the soul. I don't know about the latter part, but for me sitting under a sycamore tree, next to a burbling creek, looking up at the cloudless blue sky certainly helps out in the soul-nourishing department.

No comments:

Post a Comment