Thursday, September 6, 2012

That's my business

I didn't mind getting a birthday coupon for a free drink at Starbucks; in fact I was quite pleased. Same thing when the grocery store, obviously keeping track of my purchases, periodically sends me little coupon books for free ice cream and peanut butter and bagged salad.
But I take exception to getting a "Happy Birthday" mailer with coupons from a bunch of restaurants and businesses that I've never even been to. I realize there's no real privacy anymore, but how on earth do they know my birthdate?
I suppose the outfit that puts out these mailers had a go-getter rep and a nifty sales presentation. But for me, at least, it's a gambit that backfired: I'm LESS likely to patronize them, and I even thought it was a little creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment