Saturday, November 10, 2012

Art show

I had a nice time at the 37th annual Art Gala at the Unionville High School today. An artist friend of mine whose works were on display invited me to stop by, and I was impressed at the quality and variety of the work of all the artists -- not only paintings but sculpture, photography, jewelry, ceramics, stained glass and furniture. A few of the local participants whose names you might know are Doug and Pat Mooberry, Neil Carlin, John Hannafin, Robert Jackson, Julie Dixon, Lele Galer and Kelly McConnell.
I especially liked Polly Davis Chalfant's tiny prints of creatures she creates by kneading erasers, Frank DePietro's waterlilies, Patsy Keller's fused glass, Sherry McVickar's barn paintings and Sarah Snyder-Dinsel's painted furniture (especially the charming little footstools decorated with frogs and goldfish).
My friend also said the Art Gala committee treated the artists extremely well, providing an excellent opening-night party. Proceeds benefit the high school's PTO.
I also browsed through the display of works by students; the art students at my high school were by far the hippest and most creative clique in the school, and it looks like nothing has changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment