Thursday, January 10, 2013

Vintage Y

While clearing out some old files I found a four-page autumn 1990 brochure from the "Kennett-Unionville" branch of the YMCA, which was then located at 112 South Broad Street in Kennett Square.
Executive director was Nancy Donnelly, program director Betsy Benner, director of administration Nancy Rolfe, adult fitness coordinator Marlel Holloway and Board Chairman Jeff Whittle.
The Y's phone number was only seven digits long; the 215/610 split hadn't occurred yet.

According to the brochure, most of the Y exercise programs were held at the American Legion hall in Kennett and at local schools (one was the Unionville Middle School, which hadn't yet changed its name to Patton Middle School). As I recall, the South Broad Street facility boasted one small aerobics room that wasn't air conditioned. It would get sweltering during Step class in the summer!
(Just out of curiosity, this afternoon I walked past the old white building and saw that it's vacant and boarded up. In addition to the Y, it also formerly housed a billiard parlor, a music studio and I believe a boxing gym.)
Membership fees in 1990 were $35 for a youth, $40 for an adult and $60 for a family, with additional charges for each program. (Twenty-three years later, I pay $63 a month for my adult membership, which I think is very reasonable considering all that today's Y offers.)
If somebody from the Y wants this piece of memorabilia, please get in touch with me and I'll drop it off: uvilleblogger@gmail.com (Update: It has been CLAIMED by Doug Nakashima of the Kennett Y!)

No comments:

Post a Comment