Thursday, February 14, 2013

Why Facebook exists

I was committing some stacks of clippings to the recycling bin the other day and a circular piece of paper, a couple of inches in diameter, fell out. It was a promotional sticker for Wayne County and the Electric Chairs, an extremely minor punk-rock band of the late 1970s. If you've never heard of them, that's OK: they had only one hit, and I can absolutely, positively guarantee you it's not going to be on the program at the Hillendale Elementary School Spring Concert.
Amused, I posted this obscure find on Facebook. Within minutes a musician friend who lives in Pocopson replied, awestruck that a relic of this band still survived. He wrote: "I used to close my DJ sessions with one of their songs. I had no idea who they were, actually found the tape lying in the road in Fort Lauderdale on Spring Break in 1979. Played it six months later and was blown away by how awesome they were....I can tell you that for a college DJ in 1979 that song, following "Flashlight" by Parliament, was the KILLER of all closes for a dance party."
I told him I'm mail him the sticker immediately but warned him it was rather scuffed up and had long ago lost its adhesive. He didn't care in the least: "it's so awesome that it even exists." He plans to give it a place of honor on one of his guitar cases, "I just haven't decided which one."

No comments:

Post a Comment