Saturday, June 22, 2013

Diego Garcia

On Thursday a pal asked if I'd join her for a free concert on Friday evening at Longwood Gardens.
Say no more: of course I would!
The performer was the Argentinian-American singer/songwriter Diego Garcia and his band (another guitarist and a cellist). I hadn't heard of them, but it seems their alternative/folky music is on frequent rotation on WXPN ("You Were Never There," "Laura") and hence they have a devoted local following (the open-air theater was full).
It was a great, fun, relaxed show and I became an instant fan. Their CD "Paradise" is coming out in October and they played a number of songs from it, some of which Diego claimed still had some rough edges (could have fooled me).
And the venue: Longwood Gardens on the first evening of summer. Magical.
Diego Tweeted the next day: "Thank u longwood gardens and Philadelphia for the love last night! One of my all time favorite shows."

No comments:

Post a Comment