Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Ginger snaps

I got a request the other day for my ginger snap recipe, and I'm glad to share it. These cookies are easy to make and very, very tasty. I have some mellow friends who normally go along with any suggestion for where to eat dinner ("Perkins? The Farmhouse? Sure, whatever!") or what DVD to watch ("Mystery Science Theater 3000? Downton Abbey? Hey, you decide!"), but when I ask what kind of cookie they want me to bake, these easygoing souls immediately, and emphatically, specify "your ginger snaps please!"
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a small bowl mix 2 C flour, 2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 2-1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp ground cloves.
3. Melt 1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter. Using electric beater, add to 1-1/8 C granulated sugar. Beat in one egg, 1/4 C molasses, and 3/4 tsp vanilla extract.
4. Add the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly (there should be no flour showing).
5. Drop the cookies, about 1 T each, on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper (THIS IS VITAL!). They spread, so allow plenty of room.
6. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, depending on how chewy or crunchy you prefer them.
I get the best results using only the top rack, but that might be just a quirk of my oven.
Reader Pat from Chadds Ford posted a comment on Sunday saying that she had tried the recipe and   "They turned out great! Your advice to cook them on parchment and leave plenty of room was perfect - they do spread! Thanks so much and I plan on adding your recipe to my usual Christmas cookies list!"

4 comments:

  1. Oh, now that you've said it, I see a Downton Abbey/ginger snap marathon in my future :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I made your ginger snap recipe! They turned out great! Your advice to cook them on parchment and leave plenty of room was perfect - they do spread! Thanks so much and I plan on adding your receipe to my usual Christmas cookies list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Pat! So glad you like them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for sharing your Gingersnap recipe. I made them last night. They were easy to make & the friends I shared them with loved them!

    ReplyDelete