Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Welcome to the working world

I overheard two high-school girls talking in the locker room this afternoon and I couldn't help but smile to myself at their conversation.
The one said she really needed the forthcoming snow day; she felt burned out from all her sports, schoolwork and other activities and was looking forward to staying in bed and "just meditating" (even though she knew she'd get yelled at by her mother).
She speculated what it would be like when she got a job, though, and didn't get snow days or summers off any more.
"Yeah," her friend agreed, "but, like, at least you'll be doing something you like, and getting paid for it."
The first girl said that was certainly true, and she just didn't understand why people stayed in jobs they didn't like. "But, I mean, what do I know? I'm just a 14-year-old freshman."
Another funny I heard at the Y: two burly delivery men were wheeling in dollies of weights.
"Oh, the dumb-bells are here!" exclaimed one front-desk person.
Another said to her colleague she was glad she hadn't said anything, as she always mistakenly calls the weights "dumb-boys," and the delivery men might not have taken that kindly.

No comments:

Post a Comment