Friday, March 21, 2014

A shadow of her former self

Total strangers share the most amazing stories with me. I was sitting in a waiting room this morning and the West Grove woman next to me started telling me about her hugely successful gastric bypass surgery. She used to weigh 449 pounds and suffered all kinds of healthy problems; now she is just over 200 pounds (she looks even lighter than that). She was an excellent storyteller, full of great quotes ("I'm limited with what I can eat, but hey, I'm alive"), and she even provided illustrations: her driver's license photos before and after the weight loss. The change in her face was so dramatic, from morbidly obese to normally shaped, that a police officer who pulled her over soon after the surgery almost charged her with carrying someone else's license.

No comments:

Post a Comment