Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Submerged

Ah, good old muscle memory. For years I've been doing deep squats at the gym, and the trainers always emphasize the importance of using proper form so as to work the right muscles without risking joint damage.
So today at lunchtime, during the springtime snow flurries, I was standing knee-deep in the middle of a little creek taking close-up photos of some of the first skunk cabbages I'd seen this season -- beautiful little green and purple things. I took a couple of photos -- and then noticed that my rear end seemed to be getting extremely cold.
Sure enough, without even thinking about it I had assumed a textbook-perfect squat position -- except at the gym there's not an ice-cold body of water toward which you're lowering yourself. I found that my hind end had in fact dipped an inch or so beneath the surface of the water.
To add insult to injury, my wannabe-artsy photos weren't even any good.

No comments:

Post a Comment