Sunday, April 13, 2014

Final Four

While upgrading my cellphone the other day, I was asked, twice, for the last four digits of my social security number. Both times I had to recite the whole number to myself before I could tell the sales guy what those four digits were. I supposed I think of my SSN as a whole chunk rather than something "fungible," as the attorneys among us say.
I laughed at myself and asked the sales guy if everyone does the same thing. He nodded. His colleague, who overheard, turned to me and agreed enthusiastically: "Everybody does that," he confirmed. "Everybody!"
(By the way, the newer Android is an excellent phone and it's almost scary how quickly it has customized its texting dictionary to my preferences: When I typed in "poi" it offered me a choice between "poison ivy" and "point-to-point.")

No comments:

Post a Comment