Thursday, May 29, 2014

Too many calls

I'm a regular blood donor, and I've urged readers of this column to donate as well. It's the right thing to do if you're able.
But after American Red Cross blood solicitors phoned me on May 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 25 and 27 (they took Memorial Day off), I started blocking their phone calls and posted a polite complaint on the ARC blood donors Facebook page.
To their credit, they got back to me promptly and promised to take me off the list -- but explained that in the warmer weather donations decline, so they really need to encourage people to donate. Hmmm ... I would argue that pestering donors with multiple phone calls is actually squandering the goodwill that the donation program relies upon for its very existence. A losing strategy.
So far, they've been as good as their word about removing my phone number: to date I haven't received another call from 1-800-733-2767. If you have the same problem, you might want to try my squeaky-wheel strategy as well.
(One "Unionville in the News" reader reports that he has had the same experience that I did. He wrote: "I donate regularly, almost as often as they call our house. It's a good cause, but their near-daily calls are maddening.")

No comments:

Post a Comment