Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Dear Departed: RIP to my friend Stefi Jackson

My friend Stefanie Jackson died on Aug. 8 in California. Her death wasn't unexpected -- in fact, she had far outlived her original prognosis -- but it comes as a shock anyway, as these things tend to do.
I met Stefi 20 years ago, when we were both volunteers on the Bayard Taylor Library's Special Events Committee and, later, the Board of Trustees. We became fast friends while doing everything from picking up cheese trays and matching china with floral arrangements, to gathering referendum signatures and talking up the library at township meetings.
Stefi and I were the sort of friends who could be furious with each other one moment -- I remember a particularly ridiculous spat about the wording of the library's mission statement -- and then forget about it. She was amusing, incisive, and wry, had a vivid way of telling stories, and didn't like to waste time. She was a wonderful mix of earthy (I can still hear her throaty laugh) and stylish and tasteful (early in her career she was an emcee at fashion shows, and she would give me scarf-tying tips).
She was a regular at the Kennett YMCA and liked the breakfast sandwiches at Dunkin' Donuts, the sushi at Kyoto and the green smoothies at the Produce Place. One memorable day we went to the auction of embezzler Tony Young's personal property, and although she was quickly outbid on a set of brass bookends, she salvaged the day by picking up box after box of Ralph Lauren glassware for a song.
For years, four of us who were library "veterans" -- Stefi, Doug, Joe and I -- got together to celebrate Chinese New Year at the old King's Island restaurant. We'd stay there all afternoon, gossiping, reminiscing and laughing and going back to the buffet for seconds and thirds. After a while John the waiter didn't even have to ask anymore: he'd just refill our water glasses and bring us more tea.
A decade ago Stefi was absolutely wonderful to me during my late boyfriend's fatal illness, and I tried to repay her by lending a hand when she was ill herself, of exactly the same disease.
She moved to California in 2012 after she became ill, and we are all certain that being with her children and grandchildren out there lengthened her life considerably. There's going to be a memorial service this autumn, and I will keep you posted on the date.
Rest in peace, Stefi, my dear friend. It's hard to believe you won't be pestering me to buy an ad in the Home & Garden Day program next year.

3 comments:

  1. Such a loss. It was always a joy talking about gardens with her. I did not know about her fashion background, but it makes perfect sense to me now thinking about how she would fuss over every plant selection. She was a true original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dan. She was very fond of you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother, Judy Thompson, and Stefi were great friends back in the day. Our retired horse "Yeller Feller" lived at Stefi's farm till he passed, and her kids went to Upland with me. I hope we get to chat about Stefi at the next Newlin Meeting :) Please keep me updated on her service, and I hope Christopher and Daphne will be in town for that event. Thanks for writing about her!!

    ReplyDelete