Friday, September 26, 2014

KENNETT: Welcoming some out-of-towners

It's fun to see Kennett through a fresh eyes sometimes. After I popped in to the Bayard Taylor library on a recent sunny afternoon, I spied a couple eating ice cream outside La Michoacana across State Street and thought that a late-season cup of Brownie Delight would be an excellent reward for finishing up an unpleasant editing job (a book about the "dirty war" in Argentina; not cheerful).
So I started chatting with the man and woman, who were raving about how delicious their ice cream was. It turns out they were visiting from New York City and made a particular point of stopping in at La Michoacana; they even put the address on their GPS.
The woman asked me if she was correct in guessing that there was a significant Mexican population in the area. I said yes, indeed, and told her about the links with the mushroom industry. And that led to a discussion about the Mushroom Fest, Cinco de Mayo, and the very fine Mexican restaurants we are lucky to have in the area. They asked for a recommendation and I was happy to oblige!

No comments:

Post a Comment