Sunday, October 12, 2014

AVONDALE: Getting ready for a big party for his daughter

I was picking up subs for supper on Friday at the Avondale Wawa and parked next to a pickup truck. The truck's door was ajar and the driver was standing by the bed of the truck, fixing something. I looked over and noticed that the entire passenger seat was taken up by an enormous centerpiece, wrapped in plastic with a light-blue ribbon.
"Wow!" I exclaimed. "Look at that!"
The man smiled and opened the back door of the truck for me, revealing another oversized centerpiece, this one a brunette doll in a very full white lace dress.
"Party for my daughter tomorrow," he explained proudly.
It  was his daughter's Quinceanara, the traditional Hispanic coming-of-age celebration for girls. In addition to the decorations, he had also been picking up the food and had a stack of large, foil-covered catering trays in the bed of the truck-- that's what he was securing with a bungee cord.
I wished him the best of luck for the party and I hope they had a great time, even though it turned out to be a rainy Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment