Saturday, February 7, 2015

WEST SIDE STORY: When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way

The other day I was solving the Wall Street Journal's always-excellent Friday crossword puzzle, and there was a clue asking for a song title from "Bells Are Ringing," a musical we did in high school: "--- Girl." I knew the answer immediately: "I Met a Girl." Once you are in a musical, the songs stamp themselves into your brain forever.
Which I daresay is exactly what's happening to the Unionville High School kids who are putting on "West Side Story" in March. "For a small fee in America" or "Krup you" will be the response when one cast member asks another for a ride. The kids who play gang members will find their feet almost involuntarily doing the steps to the Jets and Sharks ballet.
The show will be at 7:30 p.m. March 12, 13, and 14 at the UHS auditorium. Tickets go on sale Feb. 16 at www.showtix4u.com. The organizers were kind enough to send two free tix my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment