Saturday, May 9, 2015

OXFORD: Charlie Zahm visits the music of the 1960s

Friday night found me singing along to Pete Seeger, Peter Paul & Mary and John Denver songs at a 1960s concert by local troubadour Charlie Zahm at the Oxford Friends Meeting. I couldn't believe how many of my brain cells are occupied storing lyrics to "How Many Roads" and "Thank God I'm a Country Boy."
Charlie sang the Kingston Trio's "MTA" (a favorite of my Dad's), Harry Belafonte's "Kingston Town," "Where Have All the Flowers Gone?", "Annie's Song," "Puff the Magic Dragon," and lots more, even showing off his yodeling skills in the chorus of "Calypso." The first half of the show ended with a rousing version of "Those Were the Days," which was one of the first 45s I ever bought (Mary Hopkins' 1968 version, with the green Apple logo on it).
Charlie performed with fiddler Tad Marks and guitarist Stephen Hobson (from the Sin City Band), and Tad gave a tour-de-force performance to close the show, a railroad medley of "Wabash Cannonball" and "Orange Blossom Special."

No comments:

Post a Comment