Saturday, June 13, 2015

GOODWILL STORE: The underrated pleasure of getting rid of stuff

I was switching over my summer/winter closets (and not a moment too soon) and realized there were clothes in there I hadn't worn in literally years. They were in fine shape, but they belonged to a lifestyle I no longer lead: in other words, they required hand washing or dry cleaning or special accessories, or would be ruined by a single grape-jelly spill.
I had been saving one Talbots blouse just in case I was called for jury duty -- but no one dresses up for jury duty anymore. And I'd been holding on to a certain sleeveless top because I'd paid a lot of money for it -- but getting into it nearly dislocated my shoulder, so I never wore it. They are both history, along with little-worn suede and leather skirts, khaki pants, cashmere sweaters, a long black velvet skirt, fancy scarves I'd long forgotten about, and a frumpy tweed skirt I'd worn only when dressing up as Aunt Petunia on Halloween.
I folded everything up, filling three large trash bags, and drove them over to the Goodwill store in Avondale. You drive up to the donations door and ring the bell, and grateful people come out and take your offerings.
I probably could have recouped some money had I taken them to a consignment store or one of those used clothing trade-in places, but I didn't think it would have been worth the time and effort.
I have what I need and haven't regretted a single discard. And I hope some Goodwill bargain-hunter had a field day.
Then I tackled the refrigerator -- but that's a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment