Sunday, February 21, 2016

MR. BROOKS: Chatham loses a friend

Bob Brooks, a longtime and well-known resident of Chatham, died on Feb. 13 at the age of 88. Every December for the past 10 years, my neighbor and I would head over to Mr. Brooks' place on Route 41 to buy a Christmas tree from him. We'd always tried to dicker with him over the price by pointing out that it was near the end of the season, or the tree I'd selected was the smallest on the lot and should really be discounted.
He never, ever budged.
"Thirty-five dollars," he'd say, and you knew that was his final answer.
Mr. Brooks was in the hospital in December, so even though I got an excellent, fragrant tree as always, it just wasn't the same. He was a sweet man and will be missed by many. My sympathy to his family, and may he rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment