Saturday, February 3, 2018

DISCORD: Dinner and a show

The scene was embarrassing and riveting at the same time: at dinner on Jan. 31, the middle-aged, prosperous-looking couple two tables away from us were having a vicious argument. The woman did most of the talking, saying things like "You're the most annoying person I've ever met." And not in a teasing way, either: she was serious. When the man would try to respond, she'd cut him off by saying, "No! No!" or "That's none of your business!" in a loud, petulant voice.
Not that it's an excuse, but perhaps she'd had too much to drink? I noticed they were splitting a bottle of Shiraz.
Try as I might, I could pick up no clue what they were arguing about, although I did hear her mention Thanksgiving. And at one point she told him, ominously, "Everyone has their price."


No comments:

Post a Comment