Sunday, February 25, 2018

SPRING: A break from winter

The one day of warm weather -- it was pushing 70 degrees on Feb. 21 -- gave us such a wonderful taste of spring. I heard pond peepers for the first time!
My snowdrops are in bloom and my hellebores are showing signs of imminent flowering. A Unionville friend tells me her aconites are in bloom. There are no signs of daffodils yet in my garden, but the daylilies on the sun-warmed bank just up the road are already about two inches high. The willow and forsythia branches are showing just the barest hint of yellow, an unmistakeable sign that spring is on its way.
While inspecting the garden on that gloriously warm Wednesday I was tempted to do some cleanup, but decided the bulbs probably would benefit from the blanket of leaves and pine needles for another few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment