Wednesday, April 18, 2018

KIDS THESE DAYS: Some positive news

Of course I've been attending the Young Relative's high-school track meets this spring, and here are a few things I've noticed.
I've seen kids sacrificing for the good of the team (OK, maybe not happily; but honestly, who among us ever does?). I've seen athletes supporting each other and going out of their way to congratulate their opponents.
I've seen tough young men and women competing in 80-degree weather, 35-degree weather, and even snow flurries with fortitude and grace (and mittens). Perhaps those mornings of sitting at the bus stop in Mom's heated minivan didn't turn them into spoiled mollycoddles after all!
Perhaps most movingly, I watched a mentally disabled athlete compete in a race, thanks to her teammates who ran beside her. As she crossed the finish line with a smile, the crowd burst into applause and cheers.
Following the news can cause us to despair about the future. Don't. Go to a track meet instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment