Wednesday, May 30, 2018

MEMORY: Unforgettable ads

The other day at the Y there was a new woman in one of the gym classes that I take, and as is my wont I introduced myself and welcomed her. We shook hands and she said her name was Libby.
Immediately the old advertising jingle popped into my head, and I blurted out, "Oh! As in Libby's Libby's Libby's on the label label label!"
The poor woman winced and finished the verse: "You will like it like it like on the table table table." She explained that her family moved around a lot when she was growing up and kids greeted her with that ad at every single new school she attended.
I can remember and sing, verbatim, an advertising jingle from 1974, yet I often forget what I'm saying in the middle of a conversation. The brain is an amazing organ.

No comments:

Post a Comment