Friday, June 22, 2018

TRAFFIC STUDY: Cruise control

So, Tilda, how's that driving-the-speed-limit thing going? A few weeks ago I mentioned a suggestion made at the June West Marlborough township meeting that we should all drive the speed limit in an attempt to discourage motorists from using our quiet country roads. I decided to try abiding by the speed limit (I know, a radical act) just to see what would happen.
I would wager that I have done my share to frustrate the drivers behind me by sticking to 40 mph on Newark Road, 45 mph on Routes 841, 842 and 926, and 25 mph through downtown Kennett. On the Route 1 bypass I was "passed by" everybody when I set the cruise control at 55 mph. Somebody actually passed me on Hood Road, shooting me a dirty look, when I slowed for horses. I was nearly rear-ended when I braked for that sharp curve on southbound 841 near Laramee Road.
On Route 82 out here in the country, vehicles were on my tail from out of nowhere.
I found that the stretch of road where it was hardest to obey the speed limit was on Newark Road near the New Garden airport, where the limit is 25 mph for quite some distance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment