Thursday, January 23, 2020

COMMUNICATION: A demanding boss

For most of my working life, I've been a freelance copy editor. I enjoy the work and I love the freedom to set my own schedule. But sometimes there are irritations.
Early on January 14, I received an e-mail from my boss on a textbook project: "Please let me know when may I expect the second batch of copyedited files."
I scrambled and sent the requested batch of files by lunchtime.
Forty-five minutes later, I received this email: "Thank you for your email. I will respond when I return on 16th January."

On January 16, this appeared in my in-box: "Can I expect the next batch of copyedited files on 20th Jan?"

"Have a great weekend," she added, with no apparent irony.
A self-employed friend said he sometimes imposes what he calls a "stupid tax:  when you do or request stupid stuff, it costs extra."
Unfortunately, I'd already agreed to a fee for this textbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment