Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Clearing the aisles

Hooray! On my weekly trip to the Jennersville Giant this morning I saw employees on their hands and knees scraping up those directional arrows that were supposed to reduce close contact between shoppers. 
As a policy I'm sure the arrows looked good on paper as executives scrambled to "do something" to improve customer safety, but the result ended up being frustrating and ineffective. Not many people shop by going up one aisle and down the next, and I know I inevitably need to backtrack for a forgotten or replacement ingredient, especially in these days of unexpected and weird food shortages. And if you followed the arrow system dutifully (which I actually tried to do) and had to backtrack, it meant increasing your time in the supermarket, which theoretically increased your exposure to the virus. 
I'm told the New Garden Giant has also removed its arrows, though they are still in place as of May 12 at the Avondale Acme.

No comments:

Post a Comment