Friday, December 24, 2010

Your government at work

Last week, while doing some paperwork, I was asked to show my Social Security card. This card has been resting on the bottom of the Brandywine since a 1983 canoeing mishap, and I've never needed it until now. So I went to the Social Security website (http://www.ssa.gov/), printed out a simple, one-page form for a replacement card and took it to the closest Social Security office (for me, 1101 West Chester Pike, which is in the shopping center east of Five Points Road, across from the Golf Club Apartments).
I walked in on a Thursday afternoon, was called to the desk almost immediately, showed my driver's license to the friendly employee --  and that was that. She printed me a temporary form, and I should get my card in early January.
I was out of there in 10 minutes. Could not have been easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment