Wednesday, April 6, 2011

On line

This time of year is so exciting. I love being able to hang my laundry out again without freezing my fingers.
And even though I know that in a few months I'll be spending hours trying to contain it, for now it's a thrill seeing the first tiny purple-green leaves of the perennial herb anise hyssop. This morning I spotted the first grape hyacinth and squill in my garden. Daffodils are in bloom on sunny banks all over, and the yellow marsh mallows are carpeting low areas near creeks. And don't miss the dozens of purple hyacinths planted in the traffic island in front of Unionville High School.
Early last summer I took piles of my favorite groundcover, lamium, from my garden over to some friends in Newlin, who have steep, stony banks along their driveway where nothing grows. After we planted it there was a long dry spell, so I was surprised and delighted to see that the lamium has survived and is actually coming up in several spots.
And judging from all the daylily foliage sprouting on the roadbanks, we're going to have an orange summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment