Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I'll tumble for you

Whenever we lose power here, almost inevitably it's due to a tree down on the power lines along one short, wooded stretch of one-lane gravel road. It's what happened during the tornado back in the 1990s, when we out of power for 4 days. It's what happened just three weeks ago, at the beginning of August. Believe me, I've got years of photographs.
So it was no surprise to walk up there on Sunday morning and see the wires acting as a hammock for a big walnut. The clever PECO guys managed to reroute the power around it before clearing it on Wednesday.
Unfortunately, there are many more trees nearby just waiting to fall onto those lines. I'm told the homeowners along the road even "joke" about whose turn it is next.
I wonder if some judicious pruning along that stretch of road might be in order. I'd supply home-made cookies for the workers!
Other that than, there weren't too many big branches down chez Tally-ho, and most of the ones that fell off the giant sycamore were quickly cleared by the wonderful hard-working boys from the farm next door. I think most of the white pine branches that were going to fall had already come down during last winter's ice storms.
At a construction site up the road, a portable toilet did get blown over. First thing Sunday morning it was leaning, but by the end of the windy morning it was completely horizontal.
On a serious note, though, I heard that four tulip poplars demolished a house in the Hamorton Woods development. It's a complete loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment