Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Lift that bale!

The other morning my presence was requested on a little jaunt to pick up hay in Cochranville.
"You'll get a good workout," I was assured.
Well, I was like an eager dog ready for a road trip. I immediately fired back an e-mail RSVPing and grabbed my work gloves.
We headed west on Route 926 across Route 41 to Melvin King's Car-Mar Farm, a self-service hay and straw place. You back your truck into the barn, choose which type of hay you want and start loading. When you're done, you drop your money or check into a pipe with a padlocked lid. And woe to any would-be deadbeats: there are security cameras and a prominent "Wall of Shame" with the names of check-bouncers (I didn't recognize any).
So we loaded up my pal's new truck (she stayed in the truckbed, I brought the bales to her and she stacked), paid (20 bales @ $6.50), and headed back east. We approached my house -- but she didn't turn.
"Um ...you missed my road," I said.
She shot me an incredulous look.
"What, you think you're done?" she said. "Now we have to unload."
To her credit, she let us swap jobs: this time I got to stay in the truck and hand her the bales.
Car-Mar's current hours are Monday, Tuesday and Thursday 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 6 a.m. to 5 p.m., and they are shut on Sundays.

No comments:

Post a Comment