Friday, August 19, 2011

Like thunder and lightning

For me, excitement is optional at social events. I love good company, good food and drink -- but drama, not so much.
Oh well: we got all of those, and in spades, last Thursday evening at a picnic at the idyllic Plantation Field. As soon as I arrived I saw heaps of friends I wanted to chat with, and people were just starting to tuck into the terrific buffet under a tent set up on top of the hill. What could be better? Hey, let's check out the new dressage ring and ignore those rumbles of thunder in the distance!
Well, at about 6:45 a classic summer thunderstorm broke. Lightning was flashing all around, the rain was pelting down and the fierce wind sent table covers, baseball caps, plastic cups and water bottles flying all over. The temperature dropped by probably 15 degrees in a few minutes.
A lot of people went dashing for their cars, but I stayed on; I hadn't had dessert yet. I tried to make sure there was a large person standing between me and the rain, but with the wind it was pointless; my cotton dress got sopping wet.
When I started shivering, and after I had had a piece of the wonderful cake, I headed back to the car.
Alas, I had left my driver's side window down about two inches; the inside was damp all the way over to the passenger seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment