Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Strangers

I knew something was up when I turned into my normally quiet road at 11 on a Sunday morning and saw a row of cars coming toward me. If it had been 4 p.m., quitting time for the farm workers down the road, that would have been different. Plus I didn't recognize the drivers, and they didn't even wave: definitely outsiders.
I got home, checked Facebook and found out what was going on: a tree had fallen across Route 82 near West Road early that morning, blocking both lanes and knocking out power (but not to us, for a change). The hard-working road crew cleared the tree by that afternoon, and our road was back to its normal calm once again.
I noticed the same thing the following Saturday morning: there was an unusual amount of westbound traffic on Upland Road (Route 842). Then I got to Newark Road and realized why: a tree had fallen just north of Route 926, blocking Newark Road from the London Grove intersection north to 842.

No comments:

Post a Comment