Friday, December 2, 2011

Getting there

If there's a (1) direct and (2) pleasant route from Unionville to the Wegman's supermarket outside the borough of Downingtown, I wish somebody would tell me about it. Route 30 through Coatesville, Thorndale and Downingtown is certainly direct and interesting, but it has too many traffic lights. Strasburg Road is a fine east-west road and easy to get to, but there's no direct connection up to Downingtown; the best route would seem to be Marshallton-Thorndale Road (which gets you to Route 30) or Shadyside Road (which gets you to Route 322, near the Harmony Hill/Gibson's covered bridge). I've heard that Sugarsbridge Road north from Marshallton is another good connection between Strasburg Road and Route 322; next time I'm going to try that.

And yes, this was actually a topic of animated and heartfelt conversation at a recent brunch I attended. Welcome to the world of Wegman's fans.

6 comments:

  1. 842 to Northbrook Road, hit 162 at marshalton for a couple hundred yards, then Sugars Bridge Road to 322. right before the narrow low bridge entering Downingtown, turn right (at the Wawa) on Boot Road....then a left at a light at Quarry Road. you can dead end at 30 or enter the shopping center at the movie theater. The fastest and most senic I think

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve! I'll try it. And thanks for reading my column.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Wegman's fan starts out as Steve directed above, except turning right onto 322, going over the open grate bridge, then making a left onto Skelp Level Road. Then you turn right onto Boot Road & continue as above. Only cuts off that corner where the Wawa is, but it feels pretty quick to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, traffic can back up at that Wawa light. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another shortcut option that I use regularly: Route 162 East, turn left on Stargazers Rd, then left on Strasburg and immediately right on Shadyside. Take Shadyside to 322 and make a left. Make a right on Boot, Left on Quarry. The main bonus is that I can stop in Embreeville on the way there and see if the grandparents or Mom need anything while I'm there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Rob, ya old Whipster! Everybody seems to have a favorite route.

    ReplyDelete