Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Kleptoplants

A standard theme of horror movies is a peevish Mother Nature venting her wrath upon callous humanity. Think M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening" (which was filmed partly in Unionville!).
Better yet, think Tilda's garden this summer.
In the past month I have lost a pair of gym shorts and a checkbook. Both resulted in dervish-like but unsuccessful searches of my home and car and some unladylike language. I gave them up for lost and called the bank to cancel the few remaining checks (a $15 fee, which I deserved for my carelessness).
I have since found both items. The gym shorts were buried in the fast-growing lamium under my clothesline, and as far as their condition goes, let's just say we don't need to worry about discarded gym shorts piling up in landfills like we do about plastic bottles.
Obviously, I dropped the shorts while bringing in my clothes from the line in a hurry. But how the checkbook ended up underneath some ferns in an obscure spot near my deck steps remains a mystery. It was dirty and soaking wet, but I managed to salvage the check register.

No comments:

Post a Comment