Thursday, October 11, 2012

Absolute absence

Perhaps only a gym devotee like myself can understand the full impact of the horrible news we got last week: my beloved, unique, inspiring, generous, devoted long-time fitness teacher is leaving us for health reasons. I will miss her workouts as much as I will miss her personality; she was always challenging, to put it mildly, but her irreverent style, her total intolerance for whining, and her bad jokes made the grueling exercises actually fun (or, in the case of burpees and tabatas, almost tolerable). Thanks to her, I am in way better shape than I was 30 years ago, my abdominal muscles and legs are amazingly strong, and I haven't had tennis elbow in years. I would now relish doing those President's Physical Fitness Tests that I dreaded in elementary school.
I'm really not sure what I'll do without her. I'm having to rethink my whole exercise program, and I'm not happy about it.
Yes, I realize that losing your aerobics teacher is not the end of the world, especially since she probably should have cut back on her energetic schedule months ago. But without her there will be a BIG empty space in a lot of people's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment