Tuesday, October 9, 2012

In reverse

My family and friends have always gravitated toward really big adult toys, things like antique cars, gliders, Woodstock-sized sound systems, and horses. Such things require equally big trucks and trailers for transport, and I've always been impressed by people who can maneuver those massive vehicles, backing them up delicately into a garage and parking them on a dime.

This morning I was watching a guy back up one of those long, open-grate flatbed trailers toward the house steps in preparation for removing a cumbersome piece of old ductwork. He stopped at precisely the right spot so the gate could be lowered onto the top step. I remarked to his buddy how impressed I was with his piloting skills.
To my surprise, he explained that the bigger the trailer, the easier it actually is to manipulate: "You have more to work with."

No comments:

Post a Comment