Friday, October 19, 2012

Homonyms

A pal and I were lunching in Kennett on Tuesday, and it was such a nice autumn day that he proposed a walk in Anson Nixon Park after we finished our tacos. We entered on the path off North Broad Street, where we immediately spotted a handsome garter snake. We walked past the community garden plots and the tennis courts, around the ponds and into the woods.
"I'm going to show you the Kennett Beach," he said.
Well! This was news to me: I didn't realize that Kennett had a beach. I enthused about how much I was looking forward to seeing a nice sandy shoreline.
We walked past the ball field. We heard the traffic from the Route 1 bypass. Where exactly was this little-known body of water? I started to wonder as we continued through the woods.
He stopped abruptly in front of a little sign.
"Here it is!" he said with a gleeful smirk. "Here's the Kennett Beech!"
Yes, OK, it was a very handsome and very big tree, "the largest and oldest tree in this woodland," but I really wanted a beach.
Even so: Anson Nixon Park is a splendid place for a little hike.


No comments:

Post a Comment