Friday, November 2, 2012

Apple Grove

Best wishes to the brave souls who are renovating the crumbling, long-abandoned farmhouse and giant barn on Apple Grove Road, east of Tapeworm Road. I thought it was way beyond repair, but the owners have been clearing the brush and vines that have accumulated over the years -- there's even a large pumpkin perched on the farmhouse porch! I think we'll all be eager to watch the progress of this challenging project.
Township historian Don Silknitter says back in the late 1970s this was the home of Charlie Elvin, who at that time was the oldest living resident of West Marlborough.
Speaking of Apple Grove Road, this morning I saw an artist stopped along the roadside, painting the view. I slowed down and told her that in my opinion Apple Grove is one of the prettiest roads around. She agreed: "It's unbelievable!"

2 comments:

  1. I believe the old farmhouse, you are talking about is where Charlie Elvin lived. At the time, late 1970's, he was the oldest living resident in West Marlborough Township.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it was an Elvin farmhouse but I didn't know that, Mr. S. Thank you! (Believe it or not, only recently did I realize that Apple Grove Rd. is in WMT -- I always thought it was Newlin.)

    ReplyDelete