Sunday, November 25, 2012

Popcorn

A kind but germ-conscious friend who knows I used a stove-top popcorn popper, the old-fashioned metal kind that you crank, called the other day and offered to come over and scrub it out. It seems she had heard or read somewhere that bacteria can thrive in a popcorn popper and was concerned I might become ill.
A little taken aback, I thanked her but assured her that it would not be necessary.
I went online and found nothing whatsoever about any health hazards of using an unsterilized popcorn popper (and as any Internet surfer, knows there are PLENTY of scary websites written by hypochondriacs). In fact, I read that the oil has to reach above 400 degrees for it to make the kernels pop, which I'm sure is enough to kill any lurking bacteria, however hardy.
By the way, my Whirley Pop Jr. popcorn popper rocks. And it's American-made.

No comments:

Post a Comment