Sunday, January 20, 2013

Country life

A tall, dark stranger came into my life on Saturday morning.
I was working at my desk when I heard whinnying. I knew that the foxhunters were meeting nearby, but this sounded REALLY close.
I looked out the window -- and there was a black horse standing in my driveway.
I'm an avid spectator of equestrian events but not much of a participant. But I did know enough to realize that I'd better try to get hold of him.
Without even saving what I had on the computer screen, I threw on jacket, hat and boots, walked outside and greeted my very handsome, very well-groomed visitor. He let me take hold of his lead rope with no fuss (thank goodness) and as I walked him down the driveway and onto the road I pondered where this guy might have come from and what on earth I should do with him. I knew he didn't belong to the ladies at the end of the road, because I know their horses well. Maybe he belonged to the trainer down the road?
First brilliant idea: I took his photo and posted it on Facebook, asking if anyone recognized him. A friend immediately chimed in, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth!" (So helpful, Rob; thanks.)
We walked up and down the road for about 15 minutes when I heard the sounds of a horse approaching -- sure enough, it was the grateful trainer down the road trotting up to collect his wayward horse. He told me that "Mr. Universo" is something of a rock star, likes to have his own way and has bolted before.
"This'll give you something to write about!" he said with a grin as I turned over the lead to him.
For sure! It was definitely an exciting morning for me -- much to the amusement of my friends who have all-too-frequent experience as horse catchers.
A pal of mine checked out Mr. Universo's pedigree and found that this Brazilian native has both Northern Dancer and Native Dancer in his bloodline. No wonder he's fast!

1 comment:

  1. I have found myself in this position three times in my life, while driving down various roads. I may not be a horse person, but I know these guys should not be walking down the road by themselves!

    ReplyDelete