Saturday, February 9, 2013

Unwelcome visitors

It's bad enough to walk into a room and smell that foul stinkbug odor, but isn't it even worse when you can't spot the culprit? You just know it's lurking nearby, ready to emit that nauseating stench again... but where??
Although the stinkbugs seem to be making a comeback the past few weeks, in my house at least, they are nowhere near as numerous as they were two years ago, when they covered the walls and got into your drawers, your pillowcase, your medicine cabinet. Their favorite spot this winter seems to be my coffee maker. Whether it's the warmth or just the aroma of Dunkin' Donuts Original Blend, I now am careful to check the carafe and the spout before flipping the "on" switch, lest I brew a flavorful mug of Brown Marmorated.
The other morning I was pouring myself a glass of our delicious West Marlborough well water and noticed that the stream coming from the kitchen tap was oddly bifurcated. Sure enough, there was a stinkbug clinging to the underneath of the spigot. What a way to start the day.
As a short person I've found Hal Lewis's "Stik A Bug" to be both helpful and fun for capturing stinkbugs that are walking across the ceiling. It's essentially a Swiffer-type mop with a sticky pad at the end for trapping the bugs. Hal, who until recently owned a garage in Kennett, is a mechanic and entrepreneur. His Stik A Bug works so well I'm glad he threw in a spare sticky pad! And I can attest to the fact that it also works well on hard-to-reach cobwebs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment