Thursday, March 21, 2013

Music and more

On Sunday evening, I went to a lovely celebration at Longwood Gardens honoring Maestra Mary Woodmansee Green on her 25 years heading the Kennett Symphony of Chester County. During the reception in the Conservatory we lucky guests got to mingle, drink Champagne and munch on cheese-and-crackers.
After the cocktail hour there was a splendid 90-minute concert featuring musicians from the Symphony and guest artists performing everything from classical pieces, comic pieces, and show tunes to "Under the Sea," complete with steel drums. This was a surprise to me and to several others, who weren't expecting the pleasure of seeing a full-fledged show!
At the end of the program there were many nice tributes to the Maestra from past Symphony Board presidents and the current president, Paul Merluzzi.
A couple of social notes from the evening:
-- As always, it was great to see my old colleague Ed Fahey, former Kennett Square mayor. He was the Symphony's president from 1997 to 1999.
--  Harpist Janet Witman of Cochranville played in the background during the reception. I talked to Janet's husband Kevin, an amateur astronomer, who told me that TV meteorologist Cecily Tynan ran a photograph that he took of the PANSTARSS comet.
-- Some friends who are on the board of the Unionville Community Fair told me the happy news that the Willowdale Pro Rodeo will be returning for a third year in October.
-- I spotted a fellow guest whose name I completely butchered the last time I ran into him. I knew this was my chance to redeem myself. I discreetly pulled out my cell phone, Googled the municipal board I know he's a member of, confirmed his name and after the concert was able to greet him correctly. Phew! Social embarrassment averted for a change!

No comments:

Post a Comment